National Centre of Competence in Research – AntiResist:
New approaches to combat antibiotic-resistant bacteria
Research Data Manager (80-100%) – NCCR AntiResist
Starting per agreement as soon as possible
The Biozentrum of the University of Basel is one of the leading Life Sciences Institutes in the world. It accommodates 30 research groups and 500 employees investigating how molecules and cells create life, spanning the scale from atom to organism. Founded in 1971, the Biozentrum has been the birthplace of many fundamental discoveries in biology and medicine, spawning several Nobel Laureates.
National Center of Competence in Research (NCCR) “AntiResist: New approaches to combat antibiotic-resistant bacteria” (2020-2032) is a Swiss-wide interdisciplinary center for antibiotic research with strong collaborations between biologists, clinicians, engineers, computational scientists and chemists. This network is funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation as part of their major support in strengthening research in areas of strategic importance. Our goals are to develop laboratory models mimicking infection processes in human patients, and to use these models to discover innovative antibiotics and alternative strategies to combat antibiotic-resistant bacteria. At the core of this venture are direct links between basic and clinical research, bioengineering, and pharmaceutical industry to help solving the current antibiotic crisis.
NCCR AntiResist is recruiting for the position of Research Data Manager.
The Research Data Manager is responsible for building and managing the Research Data Ecosystem of the consortium. The Research Data Ecosystem of the project will consist of a heterogeneous set of existing, and possibly some new data management systems for different types of data (microscopy, next-generation sequencing, proteomics). In collaboration with data providers involved in the project (e.g. technology platforms) and with scientific IT platforms at the University Hospital Basel (USB) and University of Basel, our new collaborator will develop and maintain an environment enabling data federation (e.g. cross-linking identifiers at the various service platforms and/or linking data hosted in local data management systems).
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain a catalog of data sources, data types and an overview of the data flows in the project.
- Contribute to design and implementation of the code necessary to ensure smooth interoperability between data management systems and the federation environment (database “crawlers”, monitoring availability of data in federated systems, etc.)
- In collaboration with institutional Technology Platform, set-up and maintain the database infrastructure to host and inter-link research data (data federation)
- Ensure integrity of the research data and monitor compliance with documentation guidelines by AntiResist scientists.
- Develop crawlers tailored to different subject specific databases that stores data and to backlink
- Assist with data annotation and metadata creation
In execution of these functions, the Research Data Manager is at the center of the data produced by the entire consortium. Making sure that data produced by the consortium are managed along the FAIR principles (findable, accessible, interoperable, reusable) is paramount to the success of the project.
Who You Are
For this challenging and exciting position, we are looking for these qualifications:
- MSc or PhD in Computer Science with experience in life sciences, Computational sciences or equivalent.
- Proficient in managing life-science data over the entire data life cycle: from data capture, annotation with controlled vocabularies/ontologies, QC and curation, to publication in domain-specific repositories (e.g. Pride, EGA, PDB, etc.)
- Min. 3 years of experience working in a support role with more than one research data management system (e.g. LIMS (e.g. Labkey), ELN, data type-specific data management system (Omero, Orthanc, etc.)
- Highly proficient with at least one scripting language (Python preferred), including development of interface code between systems using APIs (XML, JSON)
- In-depth understanding of database technologies (SQL, NoSQL; schema design, APIs)
- Thrives on multidisciplinary team collaborations
- Excellent organizational skills, capable of working autonomously
- Working language is English (oral and written)
We offer a highly visible, vibrant, inclusive, and flexible international working environment in a network of world-leading research institutes and pharmaceutical companies in Switzerland. The working place is at University of Basel as home institution of the NCCR. The new collaborator will report to the scientific leadership of the NCCR project and will be embedded in sciCORE, the scientific computing center of University of Basel (https://scicore.unibas.ch/). Salary will be commensurate with institutional guidelines of the University of Basel and level of experience. The position is available immediately. The initial contract is for 1 year, with the expectation to extend to each continued 4-year phase of the NCCR. The position of Research Data Manager is extendable up to the full 12-year program.
Application / Contact
The application should include a brief personal statement, explaining how your qualifications and experience make you a good candidate for this job, together with a full, up-to-date CV and addresses of 2 references.
To apply, please submit your application package via: https://biped2.biozentrum.unibas.ch/apply/research-data-manager-nccr-antiresist
We start reviewing applications from 2 November 2020 until the position is filled. Please note that only online applications will be accepted. For further information, please contact Dr. Anne-Cécile Hiebel (AntiResist Coordinator) or Prof. Christoph Dehio (AntiResist Director) at email@example.com